Why hire a garden consultant?
Have you thought about planting a garden, but aren’t sure where to begin? Do you want to grow food that is incredibly delicious and healthy? Would you like to harvest fresh herbs for cooking meals? Tried growing food or flowers but it didn’t work? Looking for advice on beating pests, choosing varieties of plants to grow, irrigation or fencing? Perhaps you would just like to enjoy your yard a bit more in the summer sun?
I can help!
I am an experienced grower with over 15 years of organic gardening experience. And I LOVE to talk-plan-think-dream plants and gardening. After designing and building brand new gardens in my own 3 different homes (with 3 different site issues), I have dealt with a myriad of fun challenges including slope, siting, drainage, water solutions, accessibility, shade, fencing and pests. Last year I also gained a load of experience working with local gardening company, planning, planting, installing drip irrigation, and educating. Now I can use that knowledge to help you!
Initial Home Garden Consult:
- After walking your property together, we will discuss and plan your dream garden.
- Garden vision: What type of garden do you already have/want? Are your goals food production, fresh herbs for cooking, getting your kids to eat vegetables, increasing the bee population, beautifying your yard? Would you like to grow in containers, raised beds, in the ground? How often do you see yourself tending your plants?
- Site evaluation includes sunlight, water, soil, fencing and drainage considerations for your garden placement.
- Optional Soil Test: I will collect soil and send it to be evaluated through the Soil and Plant Nutrient Testing Laboratory at the University of Massachusetts.
- Advice and recommendations for identifying existing plants, planting choices and organic management techniques.
- Based on your gardening ambitions, I will help you come up with a strategy to help meet your gardening goals.
- Tailored to meet your needs and could include:
- Garden design: layout, access, flow, aesthetics
- Choosing vegetable varieties that you’ll love to eat-from seed and seedlings
- Lessons on how to plant seeds, transplant seedlings or mature nursery plants into your garden
- Helping you decide if drip irrigation is for you
- Fertilization/Compost advice
- General pest control using organic techniques and/or more targeted organic pest/disease control
- Plant spacing (to reduce disease and increase yields)
- Winter growing/season extension (hoop houses/low tunnels, cold frames, greenhouses)
- Vertical gardening/trellising
- Rain barrels
- Native and invasive plant identification
- Micro-climate considerations
Rates and Fees
Please contact me for more information
Massachusetts: Metrowest Boston area